how to remotely (no WiFi, no IR) control ESP's

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

obod0002c
Normal user

how to remotely (no WiFi, no IR) control ESP's

#1 Post by obod0002c » 01 Nov 2022, 11:57

As you know I'm currently installing new ESP based hardware.
I'm really loving to access it via ESP Easy Mega software with all of it's possibilities.

However, sometimes, I'd just like to push a button and initiate an action - no mobile, no tablet.

Unfortunately neither cable nor IR will do. Battery powered would be a nice-to-have.

Is there a way to do it? Do you have examples of dos and don'ts? I do need ESP Easy Mega in parallel.

Looking forward to your posts

Ath
Normal user

Re: how to remotely (no WiFi, no IR) control ESP's

#2 Post by Ath » 01 Nov 2022, 12:01

obod0002c wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 11:57 However, sometimes, I'd just like to push a button and initiate an action - no mobile, no tablet.
Not sure what you are saying here? What if you just connect a button to a GPIO on the ESP, and respond to that from Rules (using a Switch device, or simply using a `monitor,g,<pin>` on that gpio)?
/Ton (PayPal.me)

obod0002c
Normal user

#3 Post by obod0002c » 01 Nov 2022, 12:33

just connect a button to a GPIO
unfortunately I do not have the possibility to wire a button to the ESP.

Ath
Normal user

#4 Post by Ath » 01 Nov 2022, 12:55

obod0002c wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 12:33 unfortunately I do not have the possibility to wire a button to the ESP.
Is that because it's not electrically safe, or no GPIO pins available anymore? If the first problem, then, IR would be a quite viable solution (even though you say it is a no-no), as it only needs a single GPIO, and can be mounted electrically safe.
The WiFi AP is turned off 5 minutes after starting when no WiFi connection can be made, and no client is connected during that 5 time, so you can't (re)connect using f.e. your phone. Unless you can reset the unit, connect and do the needed action, but that's way more than a single button-press :?
/Ton (PayPal.me)

obod0002c
Normal user

#5 Post by obod0002c » 01 Nov 2022, 14:01

Is that because it's not electrically safe, or no GPIO pins available anymore?
neither nor, it's just because this setup is in fact within WiFi reach but far away from the users .. no chance to get a wire from A to B.

TD-er
Core team member

#6 Post by TD-er » 01 Nov 2022, 14:08

You can send commands via ESPEasy p2p.
See the "sendto" command https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... nd-publish
For this you need to have the same UDP port set (e.g. port 8266 on tools->Advanced page) on the nodes that need to communicate with eachother.
And you need to have an unique host nr (Config tab), being not 0 and not 255, per ESPEasy node.

It is most useful to send an event via this "sendto" command and then in the rules define what to do when acting on the event.
You can give parameters along with the event, which you can use in the rules via %eventvalue1%.... etc.
See: https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... eventvalue

Ath
Normal user

#7 Post by Ath » 01 Nov 2022, 14:12

You can create a custom dashboard for users (need to find the documentation link for that), or use a more complete setup like this: https://github.com/chromoxdor/easyfetch
/Ton (PayPal.me)

ThomasB
Normal user

#8 Post by ThomasB » 01 Nov 2022, 17:35

However, sometimes, I'd just like to push a button and initiate an action - no mobile, no tablet.
Just to be clear, you want a battery operated wireless button rather than use traditional WiFi access methods? If this is the case, what distance? Is it clear line of sight?

- Thomas

obod0002c
Normal user

#9 Post by obod0002c » 02 Nov 2022, 09:26

Thanks a lot for your feedback, very helpful - also to rearrange my thoughts, what I'm thinking I might need!

create a custom dashboard for users
some of 'my' users don't know how to operate a mobile but a switch - yeah, I know, irritating, but that's the way it is.
a battery operated wireless button rather than use traditional WiFi access methods? If this is the case, what distance? Is it clear line of sight?
the target device, the one that is reading the sensors, activating a relay e.a., is connected to the mains and in WiFi range.

The user's device CAN be connected to the mains and will be in WiFi range as well. Battery powered, hmm, would even be better ..

Distance as well as the amount of metal inbetween the two devices will not allow 'conventional' remotes, e.g. like the ones used for TV, audio equipment (referring to 'no IR' in the title).

I thought it might be feasible to upload the URL-sequence to something that's looking like a regular switch but any idea is welcome.

I know I could hang-up a tablet, display continuously on, showing the one button to press .. but somehow that's a bit too much technics for the purpose.

Also thought of something like this one: https://www.az-delivery.de/products/az- ... -und-esp32
I assume that might lead to something as you mentioned in
You can send commands via ESPEasy p2p.

Ath
Normal user

#10 Post by Ath » 02 Nov 2022, 11:38

obod0002c wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 09:26 Also thought of something like this one: https://www.az-delivery.de/products/az- ... -und-esp32
I'm working on supporting the Wireless-Tag WT32-SC01 units, for some time already, supporting the touch screen (the TFT and custom SPI pin configuration is already supported by ESPEasy), that's still in beta, but quite usable.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

ThomasB
Normal user

#11 Post by ThomasB » 02 Nov 2022, 17:32

The user's device CAN be connected to the mains and will be in WiFi range as well. Battery powered, hmm, would even be better ..
How about this: For simplicity use a second mains powered ESPEasy device. Put it in a wall or desk mounted enclosure with a push button switch. When the button is pressed this device will trigger the event in your other ESPEasy device that controls the relay. You can use ESPEasy's P2P for this. There's also HTTP and MQTT, pick your poison.

If you want something with a touch screen then that's doable. The project by @Ath is cool. Or you can use ESPEasy's Nextion plugin.

- Thomas