Separate ecosystem / enviroment without internet ?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

martimb
New user

Separate ecosystem / enviroment without internet ?

#1 Post by martimb » 18 Jan 2023, 10:45

Good day,
I apologize in advance for my poor English.

I have an idea.
I use wemos d1 mini.
It is possible to create a separate ecosystem (environment) using Wemos d1 mini and espeasy. One master and several slave-clients

master - Create a hidden ssid, ntp server (using DS1307), display from one wemos master.

cliens - And finally make sensors, deep sleep, batteries. And you would send data to the master. All without the Internet, another router or access point hardware.

My questions are:

1) Can i create on espeasy NTP server?
2) Can it create a wifi ap with a hidden ssid?
3) Can it connect to a hidden ssid?

Thank you

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Separate ecosystel enviromen without internet ?

#2 Post by TD-er » 18 Jan 2023, 12:35

You can setup ESPEasy as a time source.
It will distribute the time via the p2p protocol.
As long as at least one node in the (IP) network has some sense of time, the rest will follow.

To keep a sense of time after some power failure, you can add to at least one node one of the supported (coin cell backupped) RTC chips, or add a GPS module.

Right now, you can't really use ESPEasy as a stand-alone network-less network, as that's still a work-in-progress.

You could however buy one of those really tiny and rather cheap Mikrotik mini APs.
For example I also use these: https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAPL-2nD
They are as small as they look, have a magnet in them for mounting and can be powered via either micro-USB or power-over-Ethernet.
This way you have a single WiFi access point and a DHCP server.

Yes, ESPEasy can connect to a hidden SSID.
However as a user reported about 2 weeks ago, apparently it may take some extra time for ESPEasy to connect to a hidden SSID as it will try all combinations.
I guess on a remote area there won't be many combinations to try.

You can also setup ESPEasy to not start an AP on its own when it can't connect to an AP, so the ESPEasy nodes won't be visible via a simple network scan.
But please be aware that I used the word "simple" here as it is very well possible to find hidden networks as you will see when you enter the setup page of ESPEasy.
Just make sure to hit the checkbox to allow connecting to a hidden SSID and enter the SSID in the appropriate field on the setup page.

martimb
New user

Re: Separate ecosystem / enviroment without internet ?

#3 Post by martimb » 23 Jan 2023, 07:49

Many thanks.

martimb
New user

#4 Post by martimb » 23 Jan 2023, 12:01

Ehm.
Last build of Collection-A has not Tools - advanced - External Time Source

But i use SHT30 in collection-A

If i downgrade to build 20116 (mega-20220809_57b0c0c) external time source present, but ntp server not work (over P2P) . DS 1307 worked.

Debug port 123 show only acces to extrenal NTP servers. Not via P2P

Work NTP server in p2p protocol default port 8266 ? Not for me, or in old build, or in collection-a

How should I set the NTP server and NTP client please?
Do I have to set only hostname in the NTP settings? IP address not working?

Thanks

Ath
Normal user

#5 Post by Ath » 23 Jan 2023, 12:07

martimb wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 12:01 How should I set the NTP server and NTP client please?
Do I have to set only hostname in the NTP settings? IP address not working?
If the NTP option is enabled an no NTP server is set, it will automatically get a NTP server from the pool, assuming access to internet. So no need to fill a server name there.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

TD-er
Core team member

#6 Post by TD-er » 23 Jan 2023, 13:09

The p2p time sync option is a relatively new feature.
I think I added it roughly 2 months ago.

You need to have the UDP port set to the same value on all your ESPEasy units. (preferrably UDP port 8266)
For other p2p features, you also need to have unique unit nrs (config tab, web interface) no being 0 and not 255.
So it is best to have unique unit nrs set on your nodes, but for time sync via p2p I don't think it really matters as long as the node with the best time source (e.g. most reliable and most recent update) has a different unit nr from the receiving node(s).