router swap

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

uxhamby
Normal user

router swap

#1 Post by uxhamby » 25 Feb 2023, 23:46

Hi,

I had a working network of a couple of dozen or so ESP8266's running ESPEASY mega. All was fine until the WiFi router, at the centre of this network, died after a power outage.

I swapped in a replacement router but decided to go with a different SSID & password combo for the new setup and resigned myself to going door to door to re educate all the clients via their AP's.

Most of the client ESP devices dutifully put up their AP's and were happy with the new WiFi after I went in and altered their WiFi settings to the new credentials. All looks good after I press the submit button on the config page and the config page invariably shows the updated info after a refresh.

Two devices, so far, however have been very stubborn about refusing to use the new WiFi logon. Or don't login for some other reason.

Am I correct that if ESPEASY knows two WiFi settings, primary and fallback, it should log into the "fallback" if the "primary" isn't available? Not happening here.

The first troublesome device started working after I supplied a static address instead of a dhcp requested one (I was then able to go back to dhcp thereafter). The second device resists even this trickery.

Is there a way to force an ESPEASY device to abandon the old and embrace the new WiFi settings? I have tried scan, connect and disconnect on the tools page. I have done a reboot from the tools page. I have done several hardware reboot. None seem to force the change to take effect in these problem devices.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian H.
Uxbridge Ont

TD-er
Core team member

Re: router swap

#2 Post by TD-er » 26 Feb 2023, 09:59

First a tip to get into units which don't start an AP, or keep it up long enough to connect.
You can set your mobile to act as a hotspot using the previous WiFi credentials.
Then it will connect to your phone.
Some phones show the IP-address of the connected devices. If not, you can try to use some network scan tools like NetAnalyzer.

Just a few options to try:
- Turn on "B/G only" on the tools->Advanced page. Some modern routers don't act nicely with ESP devices when those connect using 'n' mode.
- Give the command "erasesdkwifi" on the tools page in the command field.
- Check "Restart WiFi Lost Conn" on the tools->Advanced page (did have a different label in the past, is right between "Force WiFi B/G" and "Force WiFi No Sleep")
- Go to the /setup url of ESPEasy, to select the right AP. This will overwrite the first WiFi settings entry in the settings, so you may loose access to it if it doesn't start AP and you only can access it using the old credentials via a hotspot on your mobile.

Both the primary and fallback credentials are considered equally important. It just connects to the strongest of both.

If all fails, then try to backup the settings and erase the entire unit using a blank firmware and flash a newer firmware to it.

I am currently looking into what's needed to erase all WiFi calibration stuff (what you're essentially doing by erasing flash), but that's not yet present in a current build as I ran into some issues.
the "erasesdkwifi" should already do part of this, but there is more which can have an effect on these reconnect issues you're seeing. Especially if this is an older unit which has seen really old versions of ESPEasy (or Tasmota/etc)

uxhamby
Normal user

#3 Post by uxhamby » 26 Feb 2023, 21:15

Thanks for the suggestions and useful info. Turned out to be a simple typo. OOPs! :oops:

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 26 Feb 2023, 21:52

Good to know :)